Cowichan Valley Regional RCMP victim services workers provide services that help clients regain a feeling of control over their lives. This is an important part of the healing process. If you have been victimized, we offer help in the following areas:
To assist victims to cope with the impacts of crime and trauma.
Critical Incident Response
At the request of police officers, we attend to provide crisis intervention to victims and witnesses of crime and other traumatic events. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We also refer victims to appropriate counselling and community services for ongoing emotional support. If you require specialized assistance, we can direct you to the appropriate community agencies and care providers.
Criminal Justice Information
Victim services workers can keep you up-to-date on the status of your case and explain the steps involved in the police investigation and the judicial process. They provide information on:
- The charges laid against the accused.
- Criminal justice proceedings and roles of key parties.
- Status of the police investigation.
- The outcome of a court appearance.
- Relevant legislative acts.
Victim services workers liaise with Crown Counsel on your behalf and offer practical support throughout the judicial process. Our support includes:
- Arranging, facilitating, and providing accompaniment to meetings involving your case.
- Court orientation and court accompaniment.
- Assistance with applications for benefits pursuant to the Crime Victim Assistance Program.
- Assistance with victim impact statements.
- Provide necessary follow-up upon conclusion of the case, including registration for victim notification where appropriate.